Friday, December 27, 2013

Sausage Red Beans and Rice

This was super easy! I came across an image if this dinner, on pinterest, but the recipes was just too much for me at this time.. dealing with holidays, I wanted something easy, and because of the holidays I wanted to slim it down on the calories!

Ingredients:

  • 2 bags of the "boil in bag" brown rice. (Or 2-4 cups of cooked brown rice) Cook rice as directed.
  • 1 Turkey sausage link (i used Hillshire Farm Turkey Polska Kielbasa)
  • 2 cans of red beans (i used one that had cajun seasonings added.)
  • 2 tablespoons of Cajun powder
  • 1 tablespoon of onion powder (or 1/4 cup diced white onion)
  • cooking spray
Directions:

  1. Cook rice as directed
  2. Slice sausage into quarter size pieces, 
  3. Heat skillet to medium (spay cooking spray, saute onions if you added them) then brown sausage.
  4. Drain one can of beans and rinse them
  5. Add both cans of beans, and seasonings. cook until bean have begun to open.
  6. You can add the rice to the pot, or serve the beans and sausage over the rice (which I did).
You can use white rice, if you hate brown. Normally white rice is what you use. This served a family of 4 plus left overs for lunch the next day!
Im addicted to sriracha. and I love things spicy, so I did put sriracha on my serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment