Friday, March 29, 2013

OG Zuppa Toscana Soup


  • 1 pound of Italian sausage (I used turkey sausage, the breakfast blend)
  • 8 oz of smoked bacon, chopped (I did not even use bacon)
  • 4 Cups of water
  • Two 14 oz cans of chicken broth
  • 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (I used those large yellow potatoes, and I used 3 of them. I sliced them thin, then cut the slice in 1/2)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1 medium onion (I only used a quarter white onion)
  • 2 cups chopped kale (dont use the kale steams, they are really hard)
  • 1 Cup heavy cream (I used fat free 1/2 &1/2, because I had it on hand, and forgot to grab heavy cream at the store, plus trying to lower the calories!)
  •  Salt and Pepper
(I also used crushed red peppers, I just sprinkled it in, lightly. I added more to my personal bowl, I like heat)

1. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking into small pieces; drain and set aside
2. In a separate skillet, fry the bacon; drain and set aside (I skipped this step)
3. Combine the water, broth, potatoes, garlic and onion into pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. (I used the same pot I cooked the sausage in, and  I saute the onion in it, then added the water, broth, potatoes, and garlic)
4. Add sausage and bacon; simmer 10 minutes
5. Add the kale and cream. season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer until heated through. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL
Serves 4

To be honest, I think it serves way more than 4. I had it, and my 2 boys had it, and I still have a lot left over, probably another 3 bowls.
It was really good, and my kids actually liked it. They weren't sure about the kale at first, but I made them taste it, and they both liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment